Friday, September 23, 2011

Your Favorite Way to Train

Post By: Lee Phelan

This week's blog post is about you!

What is your favorite training activity during practice? You know, the activity you get the most excited about when practice starts up. Maybe you have a particular technique you feel confident with, or maybe there is a certain kata you love practicing, or a weapon that just feels right in your hands.

I'll start.

No big surprise here, my favorite training is sparring. In my opinion, sparring is the culmination of everything we do in the martial arts. Techniques, balance, reaction time, and state of mind are all being used at once. Granted, we use all these things in everything we do, but in sparring the stakes are a lot higher. Being slightly unbalanced in kata will likely result in a shaky technique that makes Sensei give you That Look. But being slightly off balance in sparring will likely result in you getting hit and then thrown to the ground, where you will probably be choked, mangled, or hit again. Because of sparring, I feel confident in life both in and out of the dojo. I know I can handle pressure, that I can take a hit, and that I can keep going despite adversity.

What about you? Leave a comment!

  
Photo By Ken Smith 

No comments:

Post a Comment