Friday, September 30, 2011

Eating the Good Fight


Post By: Kris Green 

I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t always make the best food or drink choices. Dr. Pepper is a particular weakness – nutritionally, though, it counts as a big negative, adding sugar and calories without any benefits except flavor and caffeine.

But I want to eat better so that nutrition doesn’t work against my training. A lot of things can interfere with our training, and they’re hard enough to work around without also getting tired or losing focus because I didn’t eat right that day.

Starting at the top, this means getting a decent mix of the three macronutrients: fat, protein, and carbohydrates. Without protein, your muscles break down. Without carbs, you have no energy to burn. Without a little fat, the entire engine stalls before it starts. What’s the right mix? That’s a little harder. Some experts say to go with 30% of your calories from fat, 30% from protein, 40% from carbs. Other experts have different mixes. Bottom line, though, is that each meal should have all three in decent proportions.

I also try to get the right kinds of proteins and carbs and fat. Lean protein, like chicken or fish or tofu, is much better than fatty stuff, like beef. Slow-burning carbs from whole grains are better than fast, simple carbs like sugar. And yes, honey counts as sugar, so I’m trying to stop adding honey to every mug of tea I drink. But a plate of pork ribs covered in barbeque sauce gives my willpower a black eye every time. Tasty, but it’s all the wrong stuff since the pork is high in fat and the sauce has a ton of salt and sugar.

Another factor I try to keep in mind is varying the sources of each of these nutrients. Sure, tofu is good for you, but it shouldn’t be the ONLY source of protein in your diet. All foods have micronutrients as well, like the omega-3 acids, iron, and potassium. Only by varying the source of the food you eat can you get a reasonable mix of these. And at all costs, I try to minimize the condiments on my food. A salad of fresh veggies is about as healthy for you as it can be – especially with some nuts for protein and fat thrown in – but after you add a typical salad dressing, you’ve done yourself more harm than good. (Fact: Some salads and dressing combinations at McDonald’s have more 30% more fat than the Big Mac!) So what can you do to punch up a salad? Add balsamic vinegar instead of dressing, or sprinkle unsalted sunflower kernels on it.

Finally, I find it helps a lot to spread my calories out through the day. Three balanced meals of 650-700 calories with some small 150-200 calories snacks helps keep my energy level more consistent throughout the day and avoids overeating at one meal. This also avoids spikes and slumps in blood sugar. Then your workouts are building your body up rather than tearing it down.


Photo by: YaiSirichai

1 comment:

  1. Kris is correct about almost everything!! But we still need that "comfort food" once in a while. I don't think it's wrong to indulge a bit!! I encourage it!!

    ReplyDelete