Friday, April 13, 2012

Swords and Arrows



Post By: Deena Hucko 

Perhaps we had a touch of spring fever in Ken Jutsu class this week. Someone suggested we try knocking arrows out of the air with our bokken. Everyone agreed it would be an interesting exercise.

We warmed up by tossing balls into the air, then drawing our swords and "cutting" them. After honing our reflexes on the foam balls, we were ready for the real thing. Sensei Lee has a compound bow and a set of arrows with tips wrapped in red duct tape. As each of us took a spot at one end of the karate floor, Sensei Lee sighted her weapon and shot a series of arrows.

I took my turn with some trepidation. It seemed a little crazy to be standing there letting someone shoot live (albeit padded) arrows at me, and I had a flashback to when I was 12 years old. My brother and I were outside with a group of neighborhood children, in the fields behind our houses. One of the boys had a bow and arrow, and suddenly he aimed it straight up and shot an arrow into the air. His face turned to shock and fear as he realized what he had done, and everyone started to run. Except me. As the others ran, I felt a calmness that told me to stay still and watch the sky. Time slowed down, as it sometimes does, and I waited.

Back to the dojo, I was in place on the karate floor, waiting for the first arrow, fighting the sense of panic that was rising inside. Suddenly, I found that calmness. I was able to relax and wait for the arrow. While I can't claim to have knocked any out of the air, I was able to watch and step aside when the arrows approached.

Finding the calmness inside is an important part of martial arts training, where it is known as "mizu no kokoro" or "mind like water". To develop this calmness, we work on controlling our breathing, and on performing our techniques under duress in the dojo. Learning to face fear is part of that development, building confidence and courage. It is a lesson we are able to take out of the dojo and apply to our every day lives.

And that sky bound arrow of my youth? Fortunately, I watched it fall to the ground without harming anyone.

1 comment:

  1. Nicely written, Sensei Deena! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete