Friday, November 4, 2011

Weapon of Choice

Post By: Lee Phelan

We are lucky to be able to train with a variety of weapons at Harp Karate. At green belt karate student can begin practicing with the sai, nunchaku, and the bo. Later are the tonfas. In Aiki Ju Do students learn the chujo, chojo, and dijo.  Once a student in either art reaches black belt, they can begin practicing with the sword.

At first I never liked weapons. The practical side of my brain would think things like: "When am I going to be walking down the street with a katana or bo in my hand?" However, I have now learned that weapons can teach us much more about balance, power, coordination, and body mechanics than I once thought. A weapon truly is an extension of yourself, and it can teach you a lot.

If forced to choose a favorite, I would have to pick the sword. For me it truly expresses our concepts of opposites. This is a very powerful weapon, even though it takes little in terms of physical strength to use it. At first the cuts and defenses seem simple, but they are complex with countless variations. It is also a very beautiful and elegant weapon, despite being so deadly and dangerous.

Think about your own weapon of choice!

Photo By: Rob Wiltshire 

No comments:

Post a Comment