Sunday, August 21, 2011

To Aiki-Otoshi Or Not to Aiki-Otoshi


Post By: Dawn Hampsey

It’s a running joke around me that I will do any Aiki technique we have except Aiki Otoshi. It’s one of the first techniques you learn in the Aiki Judo program. Karate people know it, maybe not by name but they know it. It’s the first technique you learn in Judo as well, except it’s call O-Soto-Geri. It’s not that I don’t like Aiki Otoshi, it’s just that I like the other techniques too and Aiki Otoshi monopolizes the floor too often. I have to step in and give the other techniques a chance to play. As a white belt you spend most of the time doing Aiki Otoshi. Then you progress in rank and learn other techniques. Then a new student enters the dojo and that technique is all they know so you do Aiki Otoshi. Then you work a drill, and yes, we all do Aiki Otoshi with it because everyone on the floor who is white belt and up knows it.

Well, this past week, I had this drill where I was trying to get Aiki techniques on Sensei Ken. Not a lot was working, but then he was waiting for them and would counter as fast as I thought to do them. Until, Aiki Otoshi showed up and he hit the mat. Yes! Everyone noticed that I did Aiki Otoshi. Shaking their head like it’s the technique of the Gods. Pointing at me. You see, Aiki Otoshi – tried and true. Could it just be that Aiki Otoshi is the only technique I’ve practiced enough to make work that fast? Which only proves my point, I’ve worked it a lot, time to let the other techniques have a turn. I feel a challenge coming on – I should now work Kaiten Nage so much that I can execute it on the unsuspecting uki regardless of their cooperation. Fun times.

Photo by Terry David-Smock

No comments:

Post a Comment